This $2,000 scholarship will be given to one, full-time undergraduate student, who is studying print, broadcast or digital journalism at a college/university in the Syracuse Press Club service area. The application deadline is Friday, March 22, 2019.
The student scholarship recipient must be a permanent resident of one of the following counties: Onondaga, Madison, Cortland, Cayuga, Oswego, Jefferson, St. Lawrence, Lewis, Herkimer, Oneida, Otsego, Delaware, Chenango, Broome, Tioga, Chemung, Tompkins, Wayne, Seneca, Schuyler and Yates. A student’s college residence is NOT considered a permanent residence. All students who fit the above criteria are encouraged to apply.
All scholarship applicants will be evaluated on academic achievement, involvement in extracurricular activities and/or work experience, a personal philosophy statement, media samples and professional references. A committee of media professionals will evaluate each student’s application.
The recipient will be recognized as an honored guest at the Syracuse Press Club Awards Dinner, Saturday, May 5, at the Genesee Grande Hotel in Syracuse.
Required Application Materials:
- Resume. This should include the following information: name, address, phone number(s), email address, college, major field of study, extracurricular activities and/or work/internship experience.
- Most recent college transcript(s). (Unofficial transcripts are acceptable.)
- A two-page personal philosophy statement. This statement should include a personal goal summary (maximum -no longer than ½ page) and a brief commentary about the influence journalism and content producing has on 21st century audiences.
- Two work samples. (Links to work preferred)
- Reference list (name, phone, email address). Three total are required. (1) Professor from the student’s major; (1) peer from the student’s major; and (1) professional internship mentor OR student manager from a college media outlet, in which the student produced media content.
- Email your application materials and questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
All application materials MUST be submitted in one email message. Incomplete or late submissions will not be considered by the Scholarship Committee.
Application Deadline: Friday, March 22, 2019
Questions? Contact scholarship committee chair Michael Riecke at email@example.com.